Friday, March 1, 2019

The Rest of the Story


(A photograph can often stand as a stunning reminder of events from the past and stir dormant emotions from deep within. Thank you William for your story and its reminder of a sacrifice we should never forget...krb)

(The following story was submitted by William Sledge)

On a visit to Washington, D.C., my wife Debbie and I visited the Vietnam Memorial Wall.  I took several photographs of the wall but one stood out.  In this photograph the Washington Monument was reflected on the black face of the memorial.  After returning home I enlarged and cropped the photograph and had it framed.  

The names on the wall are listed in the order of the time the soldiers died and I became curious as to when they died.  The first recognizable name is Michael L (Leroy) Harris from South Bend, Indiana, who died on November 2, 1969, in Tay Ninh, South Vietnam in a helicopter crash.  

The last recognizable name is Roger (Lee) Tallman from Munising, Michigan, who died November 11, 1969, in Phuoc Long, South Vietnam as a ground casualty.  All the men in this photograph with a memorial reflected across their names, with many others not shown, died within a 10 day period in November 1969.  

And now for the rest of the story...Tears were brought to my eyes as I realized the dates and times these brave men died. Their stories took place in a land far from home. They did their duty, they gave their all, and they are remembered on this wall. Yes, it was difficult to hold back my tears as I read their names. Memories from long ago still linger deep within my heart, for you see, I too was in South Vietnam in November of 1969.

(If anyone else would like to submit a "The Rest of the Story" story, feel free to do so by contacting Keith Bridgman)



No comments: