Wednesday, February 9, 2022

The "Yarrow" Effect

Submitted by Keith Bridgman

While we are on the subject of Black and White photography, one particular person comes to mind. David Yarrow. David is a world class photographer who travels the world looking for that one moment, that singular image that captures the imagination. Specializing in black and white photography, his mission is to bring awareness to the plight of endangered wildlife across the globe and his photographs offer incredible life-like images of some the most threatened of animals. His technique is unique and demanding in that most of his images are framed in such a way as to capture the bigness and majesty of these incredible animals...closeup and personal, he employs remotely triggered cameras to make most of his exposures. His images are stark and bold, filled with contrast and structure, shot at eye level or below. He has said if he can produce three or four great images a year, he is a happy man.


 I love black and white photography and apply it to my attempts to capture nature / wildlife as I see it. Although I could never match what David Yarrow does, nor would I ever attempt to copy someone else's style, the boldness of his photography has had an influence on what I try to accomplish via black and white...all-be-it...far from the accomplished level he possesses. I choose to call it "The Yarrow Effect".

 Here's a few older images where I've attempted to apply this effect. At the top of this article is a link to one of David Yarrow's videos.







No comments: